Real Estate in the D.C.-Baltimore-Annapolis triangle, by Margaret Woda

Friday, June 22, 2007

Lesson learned (again) - Appaisals are not the last word!


Well, actually, that was lesson #3 learned from my listing at 1697 Walleye Dr.

  1. The Internet IS a source of business. This listing came to me directly through an ActiveRain.com contact form. The property is located about 3 blocks from my office, in the heart of my target area in Crofton, MD.

  2. Do not walk away from any listing, even if it is overpriced. I did at first, but had second thoughts as I drove down the street. The next morning I called the seller and said "If anyone can sell your property for more than $300,000, I can." Over the next few weeks, I had several sign calls on that property, ending up with at least one other listing and sale.

  3. Appraisals are not the last word! We did get a full price offer of $333,000 about 30 days later. Concerned about the appraisal, I asked the seller to provide her receipts for renovations, which I then gave to the appraiser. In spite of documentation for more than $50,000 of renovations, the appraisal came in at $295,000, just $11,000 more than she paid for the property in October 2006.
The mortgage lender, new ActiveRainer Don Wilkins, immediately ordered a second appraisal. Again, I met the appraiser and gave him the package of receipts. This time, the appraisal came in at $306,000 - better, of course, but still $27,000 away from the contract price. Many agents and lenders would have let the appraiser have the last word and this sale would have died at this point.


But not me, not us... Super-heroine Margaret, along with super-hero co-op agent, informed our respective clients of the situation and asked how they felt about going forward (without mentioning our own doubts). My client said she would consider it, if the buyers could/would waive the closing help in the original contract. The buyers told their agent that they would waive the closing help in the original contract, if the seller would accept the sale price. Voila! They came together on their own, and they both feel they "won" because the solution was THEIR OWN IDEA.

The buyer and seller reached a fair compromise, facilitated by two experienced agents and a lender willing to seek a second appraisal. They, not the appraiser, got the last word. Settlement will be next week, and all are expected to live happily ever after!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Crofton, Maryland, United States
Helping home sellers, buyers and military personnel in the Annapolis/Baltimore/D.C. triangle is still my passion after thirty years in real estate. How can I help you?

Blog Archive