Real Estate in the D.C.-Baltimore-Annapolis triangle, by Margaret Woda

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Who needs a real estate agent?

If you're thinking of buying or selling a home, you might also be thinking...

  • I can find a home without an agent
  • I can look at homes without an agent
  • I can use a “standard” contract to buy or sell
  • I can find a buyer for my current home
  • I can show my own home
  • I can save LOTS of money

Have these thoughts crossed your mind since you first decided to make a move? Most people want to save money when they buy or sell a home - that's certainly a reasonable goal. And doing it without a real estate agent is the obvious way to save money. Right?

Real estate sales are so easy these days… It’s hard to imagine why there are so many real estate laws on the books to protect consumers; why real estate professionals take licensing classes and continuing education classes throughout their careers; why they invest thousands of dollars annually for tools of the trade ranging from key lockboxes to technology; why they invest thousands of dollars annually in advertising – print, mailers, the Internet. Why, when anyone can buy or sell a home at no cost just once every 10 or 20 years and save the real estate fees? You can pull your own tooth when you have a toothache, and you don’t pay a dentist or dental surgeon for help, do you? Why pay a real estate professional?

Ask some of my former clients:

  • Angie found a home for $100,000 less than she expected to spend; and the sale of her previous home was “saved” when the appraisal came in low – did I mention that the buyer of her home wrote a full-price offer before even going inside?
  • Charlotte and Dan made an extra $35,000 by selling their side yard separate from their home. This “extra” money enabled them to buy a home in the community of their choice, and not settle for less.
  • Ben and Jane made almost $100,000 profit when they bought and sold a one-bedroom condo, then bought and sold a two-bedroom condo in the same community the next year – that is more than their combined annual salary!


The next time you think about buying or selling a home on your own, or you consider choosing a discount agent to save money, think about those success stories and the countless success stories of experienced real estate professionals and their clients across America. (You can read some other success stories on my website www.MargaretWoda.com.)

If you really want more money in your pocket, you might want to touch base with me or another experienced REALTOR before you get started. Maybe - just maybe - a few decades of real estate experience and training could come in handy when you buy or sell a home. If you don't know an experienced REALTOR, just contact me and I'll put you in touch with someone in your area.

Related links:

Feedback or more information:

Who needs a real estate agent?
Copyright 2006. All rights reserved. Margaret Woda

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Crofton, Maryland, United States
Helping home sellers, buyers and military personnel in the Annapolis/Baltimore/D.C. triangle is still my passion after thirty years in real estate. How can I help you?

Blog Archive